Friday, May 28, 2010
We’re looking forward to seeing you at the June 21-25 high school journalism workshop at Marshall University. I’ve prepared the following checklist for you to follow in preparing for the workshop.
• Use this list of contacts for emergencies:
-- Corley Dennison, Dean –304-696-2809, office; 304-696-2809, cell
-- Burnis Morris, Director -- 304-696-4635, office; 304-638-3322, cell
-- Sandy Savage-York, Assistant Director – 304-696-2273, office; 606-922-1245, cell
-- Katie Harper, Counselor – 304-610-6208, cell
-- Andre Jones, Counselor – 540-226-1809, cell
• I am attaching two releases for you and your parent/guardian to sign in order for you to participate in the workshop (page 2) and use Marshall’s state-of-the-art recreation center (page 4). Bring these signed releases with you on June 21. There are two forms for the signatures.
• If your high school publishes a newspaper, magazine or yearbook, please bring a copy with you to the workshop. Otherwise, bring a copy of a local newspaper or other local publication.
• Housing and meals will be provided by the workshop. You should bring spending money for other items.
• Let us know whether you have any particular diet and/or physical restrictions we need to address.
• Bring comfortable clothing for the classroom and recreation center. Bring a sweater, in case the air conditioning is too cold for you. Bring your cell.
• Arrive by 10 a.m. for registration/room assignments at Towers East. You can find a campus map to direct you to this dormitory at www.marshall.edu.
• Please bring your own pillows, sheets (extra-long, twin), blankets and other personal items (such as toothpaste, tooth brushes and combs.
• Please read the university policies for campus living below (pages 5-7). There is a $50 charge for lost keys.
• Please let us know immediately if your plans change and you are unable to attend the workshop.
• Visit www.unitedhighschoolmedia.blogspot.com for an updated schedule and other information you may need.
• Please contact me for any assistance you may need. (e-mail email@example.com) (phone or text my cell at (304-638-3322).
Burnis R. Morris
Carter G. Woodson Professor
of Journalism and Mass Communications